RECIPE: SPRING VEGETABLE DONABE RICE
Hi there! Spring is in the air, and we're back with another delightful recipe in our donabe series! After introducing the cozy Clay Pot Pepper Shrimp recipe perfect for cold weather in our last post in the series, we're now celebrating the refreshing flavors of spring with our Spring Vegetable Donabe Rice. This light, flavorful dish is packed with seasonal vegetables and pairs wonderfully with a refreshing cup of green tea or a glass of chilled barley tea! Cheers to embracing the vibrant spirit of spring in our kitchens!
- 2 cups short-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp cooking wine, for a touch of enhanced aroma
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snap peas, sliced diagonally
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
Tips for delicious rice:Soak the rice in cold water for 20-30 minutes. This initial step allows the rice grains to absorb water and ensures a better texture when cooked. After soaking, wash the rice under cold water, rinsing it several times until the water runs clear. This process removes excess starch and ensures each grain remains distinct, while still imparting a delightfully sticky texture.
- Soak the short-grain Japanese rice in cold water for 20-30 minutes, then rinse and drain.
- In the donabe, combine broth, soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, and salt. Add the rice, distributing it evenly across the bottom of the pot. Arrange the sliced carrots, snap peas, asparagus, and shiitake mushrooms on top of the rice.
- Cover the donabe. Place the donabe over medium high heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Keep cooking for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently for 7-8 minutes. Remove the donabe from the heat and let it rest for an additional 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice gently with a rice paddle, taking care not to crush the tender vegetables. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions and a handful of finely chopped fresh herbs. Serve directly from the donabe and enjoy!
As you reach the end of this Spring Vegetable Donabe Rice recipe journey, we hope you've found inspiration in the vibrant flavors and colors of the season. Sharing this dish with friends and family, while appreciating the delicate textures and subtle aromas of the fresh vegetables, is truly a delight. And we like to serve the rice dish in the 5.7 Hasami Porcelain Tall Bowl— our favorite bowl for rice and noodle dishes—makes the experience even more special. So go ahead and gather your loved ones, dive into this delightful meal together, and let the fusion of seasonal flavors and cherished moments turn into lasting memories.
Products we used for this story:
Hasami Porcelain Tall Bowl
Traditional Firewood Soy Sauce
Donabe: The One-Pot Wonder
Care Guide: Donabe
Care Guide: Hasami Porcelain