RECIPE: JAPANESE BEEF CURRY カレーライス
Happy New Year! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! We'd like to share how we usually make Japanese Beef Curry. Curry is one of our favorite go to dinner ideas. It's simple, delicious, yet so easy to make. It's almost impossible to mess up. You just can't go wrong with curry. 🍛
serves 4 people / 45 minutes
- 1 lb of Beef cubes: You can also use chicken if you prefer
- Oil (1 tbsp): any kind of cooking oil of your choice
- 1 Medium Onion: sliced
- 1-2 Carrots (1 - 2): chop into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Potato: chop into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Zucchini: cut into half inch slices
- 1 box of Japanese Curry Roux Blocks
- Fukujinzuke (福神漬): optional
Special Ingredient: Japanese Curry Roux Blocks
It's always better to make your curry from scratch, but if you are looking for a quick dinner like us, the Japanese curry roux blocks is your best option. Simmer the meat and vegetables and drop in the curry blocks. The dinner will be ready in about 30 minutes. There are several brands available on the market. We are using Vermont Curry today.
- Add some oil to the pot and cook the beef cubes. Wait until the beef is brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add onion to the pot and stir fry until the onion is soft and brown.
- Add the carrot and potato cubes. Stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef cubes back to the pot.
- Add water to simmer the vegetables and meat. Bring to a boil. Continue cooking until the vegetables are soft. About 20 minutes.
- Add the curry roux blocks and melt them in the soup. The soup will quickly thicken. When all the blocks melt completely, turn off the gas.
Prepare some white rice, garnish with some Fukujinzuke, and the dinner is ready! If you have some leftover curry sauce, you can have curry udon the next day! Just add some dashi stock to thin the sauce and cook with udon noodles!